The history of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering began in February 1930, when the first classes commenced. Formally, however, it was established on 15 October 1929, by resolution of the Ministry of Religious Affairs and Public Education, which changed the name of the school to State Higher School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, creating two faculties – the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
In the beginning of operation of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (1930-1939) studies lasted 3.5 years and graduates were awarded the degree of electrician-technologist. The first year of study was common for students the Faculties of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
The outbreak of World War II interrupted the development of the School and the Faculty. In the first months of the occupation in the building of the school German Ingenieur-Schule was established, which ceased to exist in January 1945, when tanks of the Red Army were approaching the city.
Despite devastation of the equipment and the building at today Maria Sklodowska-Curie square 5, as soon as 15 April 1945, the process of education was resumed. In August 1945 the first graduates continuing their studies, interrupted for the time of the war, received diplomas. The decree of the Minister of Education published on 3 September 1945 allowed for reorganisation of State Higher School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and its transformation into the School of Engineering consisting of three Faculties: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
Pursuant to the Cabinet of Ministers resolution passed on 3 September 1955, Poznan University of Technology was established by merging the School of Engineering and the Evening School of Engineering. At the same time, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering started another type of academic activities - scientific research and training of research personnel.
In 2001, with the establishment of the new Faculty of Computer Science and Management, the structure of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering changed - there remained three Institutes and one Chair, which was transformed into the Institute of Control and Information Engineering. Following the resolution of Poznan University of Technology Senate passed on 25 June 2003, the inter-faculty Institute of Mathematics was merged with the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and became its organisational unit.
Currently, the organisational structure of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering comprises four Institutes: Electrical Power Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Industrial Electronics, Control and Information Engineering and Mathematics.