The history of the Faculty began in February 1930, when didactic classes started. However, it was formally appointed on October 15, 1929, by resolution of the Ministry of Religious Denominations and Public Enlightenment, which changed the name of the school to the State College of Machines Construction and Electrical Engineering, creating two faculties - Mechanics and Electrical Engineering.
In the first period of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (1930-1939) studies lasted 3.5 years, and graduates obtained the title of technologist electrician. The first year of study was joint for the Faculties of Mechanics and Electrical Engineering.
The outbreak of World War II interrupted the school and the faculty activities. In the first months of occupation, the German Ingenieur-Schule was established in the school building, which ceased to exist in January 1945, when Red Army tanks approached the city.
Despite the devastation of the equipment and the building at the current Maria Skłodowska-Curie Square 5, the lecturers began the educational process on April 15, 1945. In August 1945 diplomas were obtained by graduates who from April continued their studies, interrupted during the war. The Decree of the Ministry of Education of September 3, 1945 ordered the reorganization of the State College of Machines Construction and Electrical Engineering into an Engineering School with three faculties: Construction, Electrical and Mechanical.
On the basis of the resolution of the Council of Ministers of September 3, 1955, the Poznan University of Technology was formed from the merger of the Engineering School and the Evening Engineering School. A second stream of academic activity - scientific research and training of academic staff - has started at the Faculty.
In 2001, in connection with the creation of a new Faculty of Computer Science and Management, three institutes and one department remained in the structure of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, which was transformed into the Institute of Automatic Control and Computer Engineering. By resolution of the Academic Senate of the Poznan University of Technology of June 25, 2003, the Inter-Faculty Institute of Mathematics joined the Faculty of Electrical Engineering as another organizational unit.
In January, 2020 the unit changed its name to the Faculty of Control, Robotics and Electrical Engineering. The new organizational structure is made up of four institutes: Automation and Robotics, Electrical Engineering and Industrial Electronics, Mathematics as well as Robotics and Machine Intelligence.